Reflecting About Cuba

When I watched the documentary Welcome to North Korea, I saw how their government aggressively prohibited the filmmakers from getting footage of anything that will portray their nation negatively. Soldiers kept a watchful eye over them and constantly inspected their tapes and other belongings.

Historically, we've seen the communist state-controlled media produces nothing but propaganda and suppresses truth. In principle, lack of competition and monopoly of information will do the same. Now, I ask myself: Is media in Cuba controlled by the state?

In this video, libertarian journalist John Stossel questions Michael Moore's popular documentary "Sicko" and his portrayal of Cuban healthcare.


In Cuba, such competitive ideas are forcefully suppressed. There is no Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, or YouTube where citizens can send and receive information. There is only one newspaper. All media is controlled by the state. Anyone one who speaks against the party will be punished. The truth becomes a smuggled good. Many struggle to smuggle out the truth.

My only real motive in writing this would be to show people that it's always better to check out competing ideas and perspectives first before saying stuff like 'we should copy Cuba's healthcare'.

As much as I'll still hate it, I wonder why no one ever says let's copy Hong Kong or Singapore's healthcare (theirs is a mixed economy as well). It's just something I'd prefer to hear because at least I'd know that people still research and are not limited to having just Michael Moore's documentary as source.

Also, don't even get me started on the World Health Organization.

It's just really so hard to be a libertarian, I've been realizing. To stand for liberty is actually a stand for the most unpopular and controversial positions against the status quo which is statism.

I hope I was somehow able to introduce a different perspective by writing this blog post.


Help Harry make more blog posts by visiting his HubPages account

No comments

Powered by Blogger.